Widget Softball (Pre-K & K)
This is a Special Beginner Program designed just for little ones born after January 1, 2012.
There are a few changes to our Softball Widget Division this year. Our intent is to cosistently re-evaluate our program to make it fun and impactful for our players, coaches and parents.
- The first two weeks of our season will be organized practices with all teams indoors learning basic skills with consistent drills across all teams.
- Games and practices will be combined.
- 30 minute practice followed by 2-3 innings of game play.
- We will be set up as t-ball to develop kids skills. All innings are hitting off the tee. No coach pitch. We hope this will improve the pace of play and will get kids more involved in the field. Coaches are still encouraged to incorporate coach pitch into practice time.
- Every player bats every inning.
- Players will play all positions
Orland Park Recreational Fast-Pitch Softball is played during the Spring Season and is our largest sport. The Divisions range from Pre-K through 9th Grade. Registration begins on or about February 1st. This is a Recreational Program. A Recreational player may not be a member of a Travel and/or Club Fast-Pitch Softball team and must play in the OYA Recreational Program.
Our program is focused on developing basic softball skills from beginner to intermediate. Most importantly we look to foster a love for the game of softball and for competition.
Training begins after Spring Break and is held at our indoor training facility and the Sportplex until the weather gets warmer. The season includes 10-12 games plus play-offs ending mid-June. Most games are played in Orland Park. (Some older age levels may have some light travel to near by towns.)
Coaching and Development
Our coaches are provided with professional direction from our in-house expert, Steven Ball. Coach Ball has been a professional softball coach for over 30 years and provides individual instruction to some of the top pitchers and hitters in the area. Coaches all complete a background check and commit to a Code of Conduct.
As a volunteer coach, you will receive a free instructional clinic for you and your daughter(s) from Coach Ball. You will learn drills to use with your teams and experienced lead coaches to help get things started in indoor practice. If you ask for help, we will support you.
Helmets - Each player is provided with one helmet during their first registration. Only OYA provided helmets are allowed. (Additional helmets can be purchased at cost.)
Cleats – Players provide their own plastic cleats. No Metal Cleats.
Face Mask – Players provide their own face mask. Mask must be worn by all players during all practices and games.
Fielding Glove – Player provides their own glove.